My friend who lives in Switzerland told me her difficulty to find ingredients that usually used in Indonesian cooking. But there are Indonesian instant seasonings that can be found easily in Asian shops or online. So, I thought maybe I post a recipe using instant seasoning.
I can’t say that instant seasoning produce the same delicious dish as fresh herbs and spices. One shortcoming that I found is I can’t adjust the saltiness of my food. I usually found instant seasoning too salty. Still, I used instant seasoning more time than I like to admit. It provides super quick shortcut.
Instant seasonings that I use frequently are instant seasoning for fried rice, for traditional fried chicken, and for rendang. In this post, I used instant rendang seasoning as seasoning for meatball. It took significantly less time than cooking actual rendang from scratch.
I took Italian meatball as inspiration. Only as inspiration, because I skipped a lot of ingredients like cheese, wine, and Italian herbs. I also only use beef since I don’t eat pork. I love making this type of meatball because it is easy and I can make a big batch and then keep some in the freezer to later use.
If you already have your own favorite meatball recipe, you can use yours. But if you are planning to use instant rendang seasoning like I did, I suggest to reduce the salt amount inside your meatball, because the seasoning comes with strong salty taste.
This recipe is super simple, you only need meatball ingredients, and instant rendang seasoning. I use red chili and parsley for garnish purpose alone. I kinda like the additional chili though (I love spicy!). But beware, the instant rendang seasoning also already spicy…
We ate them with warm rice. This time, i don’t even bother with other side dish (usually, my plate consists of rice, protein, and vegetables). But since the taste of the meatball was so tasty and intense, I skip the veggie. I ate plenty vegetables the next day to compensate. Hehehe..
So here goes my Simple Rendang Meatballs recipe.
- 500 gr ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 1 pack instant rendang seasoning (I use Indofood)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 100 ml water
- In a pan with a little bit of oil, sauté onion until translucent, add garlic and keep cooking and stirring for one minute.
- In a big bowl, mix ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion & garlic.
- Shape the mixture into balls. Heat up cooking oil, and fry the meatball. In batches if necessary.
- Heat up the instant rendang seasoning for two minutes while stirring. Add water and meatballs. Stir occasionally.
- Cook until the liquid reduced and the seasoning coated the meatballs.
- Remove from heat.